Jun 8, 2008

The First Week: Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pai - Thailand

Its been almost a week since I left Korea to start my adventure. I arrived in Bangkok at 3am in pouring rain. The next day I woke to sunshine and tropical temperatures. I only stayed there 1 night, I had planned to take the train to Chiang Mai, but found a cheap air ticket so flew instead. My friend, Charlie, who I met in Cambodia has been staying here for a few months so I met up with her and met her friends. I've visited Doi Suthep, a temple with 300 stairs and Bhuping Palace, the winter home of the King and Queen. There were lots of amazing flowers there. Then we went off-roading and I got to drive a 4x4 standard on the wrong side of the road in the jungle. Very fun! We visited a tiger farm and played with 4, 2 month old baby tigers. They didn't play much, they were very sleepy, nap time I guess. On Thursday I went with some friends of Charlie's to Pai, a small village in the mountains near the Burmese border. It was really nice, reminded me off Banff and Jasper, but with jungle. The road to get there was crazy! 1864 curves in the road, all switch-backs. Apparently, its in the Guinness record book. We stayed at a fantastic resort with a great view and a swimming pool for only $15/night (between 2 of us). The next day was a bit of a write-off because of car problems, but eventually got it fixed and went back to Chiang Mai. Now its time to do some laundry.

Its difficult for me to post pics because I'm using shared computers so all my pics are on facebook. Click the link to see.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=121998&l=777e2&id=798630540

No comments: